In February 2003 the Mayor of London introduced a Congestion Charging Zone around central London. The Zone was designed to reduce the amount of traffic travelling through the city and to raise funds for the transport system.
The congestion charge itself is a fee for some categories of motor vehicle to park or travel on public roads within the congestion zone between the hours of 07:00 and 18:00 (Monday to Friday only)
The current daily charge is:-
- Pay in advance or by midnight on the day of travel - £11.50
- By midnight the following charging day - £14.00
- Congestion Charge Auto Pay (CCAP) - £10.50
You can pay the Congestion Charge in a number of ways. The quickest and easiest method is to register for CC Auto Pay. Congestion Charge Auto Pay is an automated payment system. Once registered the systems automatically records the number of charging days your vehicle travels within the charging zone each month and payment is taken from your credit or debit card.
- The Benefits of Auto Pay
- Never forget to pay the charge again;
- A reduced daily charge (£10.50);
- Protection from receiving Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) as long as your vehicle is registered and your Auto Pay account is active;
- Register up to five vehicles.
Registering is subject to terms and conditions, a copy of the registration form can be downloaded from the TFL website.